Current Opening-Investment Analyst
About Our Organization
The Investment Office of Mass General Brigham (MGB) oversees a large investment portfolio for Mass General Brigham (formerly Partners HealthCare), a Boston-based integrated health care system.
The Investment Office manages a $25-billion, diverse global portfolio invested across equities, private equity, hedge funds, real assets, and fixed income. The 21-person team relies on a collaborative effort among our Chief Investment Officer, seven Portfolio Managers, six Investment Analysts, and a seven-person operations and performance team.
Mass General Brigham is a non-profit organization founded in 1994 by Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital. MGB is the nation’s leading biomedical research organization and a principal teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School. In addition to our academic medical centers, MGB includes community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, insurance affiliates, home health and long-term care services, and other health care entities. MGB is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community.
The Investment Office seeks a highly motivated professional to join our investment team to provide analytical, research, and investment process support. A successful candidate will be passionate about investment markets, have a history of success working in a collaborative environment, and show a strong desire to learn about long-term institutional investing.
An Investment Analyst is an integral part of the team that manages MGB’s investment portfolio and is essential for the team’s timely execution of due diligence, investment research, analytics, risk management, and reporting. Analysts work in a cooperative and flexible environment as part of a generalist team that engages in asset allocation, portfolio construction, risk management, and general market and investment strategy research across diverse investment opportunity sets. This mandate challenges an Investment Analyst to be informed, thoughtful, and curious about varied investments across evolving markets. This is expected to be a two-plus-year position.
- Help us make great investments – assist in investment analysis to drive decisions in our diversified, global portfolio
- Support the team in sourcing, research, analysis, and ongoing due diligence of external investment managers; this includes meeting with managers, conducting rigorous quantitative/risk analysis, reviewing manager reports and letters, attending annual meetings, and debating investment theses with the team
- Prepare data-driven investment memos recommending compelling investments for our portfolios
- Research, prepare, and write memos and presentations that explore market trends, evaluate specific risks, and formulate views and recommendations related to enhancing returns across our portfolios over the long term
- Keep us current – as the world becomes faster-paced, help us operate with the best information
- Report on manager- and portfolio-level performance, exposures, liquidity, and cash flows
- Write meeting notes and track documents and other qualitative and quantitative information related to our investments
- Network with institutional peers and managers to stay informed about investment trends and discover compelling investment opportunities
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity
- Undergraduate degree with proven academic achievement
- Relevant work experience of one to four years preferable
- Demonstrated interest in investment markets
- Teamwork orientation and professional attitude
- Strong interpersonal as well as oral and written communication skills
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills; sophisticated Microsoft Excel skills preferred
- Excellent organizational skills; focus on accuracy and attention to detail
- Self-starter willing to take on any project and able to handle numerous projects simultaneously and respond to changing priorities
- Willingness to travel globally (when reasonable post-pandemic) and work beyond a standard workday as necessary
How to Apply
If interested, please apply below and include a resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should include a brief written response (250 words or fewer) to one of the following questions:
- What key lesson about investing have you learned from 2020-2021?
- What ten-year investing trend most excites you, and why?
- Describe an important insight that you gained from something that you read; how did you incorporate this insight into your professional life?
- In your first few months on the job, what questions would you ask, and to whom?
- What has been the most challenging professional situation you’ve had to overcome?
Mass General Brigham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and by embracing diverse skills, perspectives, and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. MGB will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
Please submit your application below.